We are an education company committed to outcomes and career opportunities for a diverse student population.
We are committed to building environmental sustainability throughout our organization
Responsible Environmental Practices
At PRDO, we believe environmental sustainability is a crucial business issue. Because commercial buildings make up more than 70% of energy consumption and nearly 40% of CO2 emissions1, it is more important than ever for companies to do the right thing and protect the environment.
Our universities predominantly serve students online with career-focused degree programs that are designed to meet the educational needs of today’s busy adults. Where we have a physical presence, we strive to utilize our resources more efficiently and reduce our energy use.
Below are a few of our key accomplishments:
Green Building and Operations
We have incorporated sustainable building concepts, design and operations into our corporate headquarters
In 2018, we implemented energy-reduction projects at our Chicagoland facilities to save energy and reduce costs, while increasing comfort for employees
Water Usage and Conservation
Our corporate headquarters utilizes water efficient fixtures that reduce water use by 30% over standard fixtures
Managing and reducing waste
We focus on providing students with digital course materials and integrate online learning technologies to reduce paper use through our online virtual campus and classrooms
Optimized Operational and Maintenance Practices
We employ robust environmentally responsible and safe conservation elements into ongoing operations
We invest in energy efficiency programs, facilities, renovations and upgrades throughout PRDO buildings
Respecting our Resources
We believe it is important to demonstrate our environmental stewardship and seek measures focused on energy conservation and resource efficiency with the dual effect of achieving meaningful long term savings for the organization.
Green Building and Operations
We are committed to making progress and reducing our environmental impact through important initiatives across PRDO:
- At PRDO, we employ robust environmentally responsible and safe conservation elements into ongoing operations
- At our corporate headquarters in Schaumburg, Illinois, we adhere to many LEED- Endorsed Practices
- We currently purchase our power for many of our corporate facilities from a private source that is striving to generate more and more of its energy from environmentally friendly sources.
- We proudly support and participate in the US Energy Star program
- We also support environmentally conscious renovation and planning throughout the organization.
Below are a few of our key accomplishments in 2018:
- We virtualized over 1400 physical servers and reduced our energy footprint over the last 2 years from about 230Kw to 130Kw average.
- We made a concerted effort to move to solid state storage devices which are 10% the size of standard drives and require much less energy
- At our corporate headquarters, we updated many of the existing electrical motors to variable frequency drive motors which allows for more efficient utilization of range power throughout the facility
- At one of our Chicagoland offices, we replaced all existing fluorescent ceiling light fixtures with LED fixtures which are projected to significantly reduce energy consumption
Water Use and Conservation
Even though educational providers like PRDO do not directly use significant amounts of water, we appreciate the importance of reducing water consumption as much as we can in our core operations to help protect this vital resource for future generations. Because the production of electrical power is one of the critical uses of fresh water, there is an opportunity to reduce our impact on water resources by continuing to make operations more energy-efficient.
While we remain committed to further improvement in our water management capabilities, PRDO employs a number of environmentally conscious water management practices:
- We partner with water utilities, owners of our leased buildings and other stakeholders to incorporate best practices into our operations
- We utilize water efficient fixtures designed to reduce water use by 30% over standard fixtures in our corporate headquarters
- We replaced our water chiller systems with new air cooled units that can run “free cooling” when the outside temperature is below 45 degrees
Managing and Reducing Waste
We believe that recycling and reducing waste are important environmental goals for every organization. At PRDO we are committed to improving our operations to minimize our impact on the environment.
- We maintain recycling programs and policies at many of our corporate facilities
- We endeavor where feasible to utilize products composed of recycled materials (for example, carpet and workstations using recycled fibers)
- We utilize and integrate online learning technologies which reduce paper use of our students through our online virtual campus and classrooms
- We focus on providing students with E-books and digital course materialss
1The US Green Building Council (USGBC) Report from 2012. https://www.eesi.org/files/climate.pdf; Visited on February 20, 2019.